Voice problems can develop for many reasons, including illness or overuse of the vocal cords. Common symptoms of a voice disorder include a weak or hoarse voice, pitch problems, sore throat, chronic cough, and discomfort when talking. Dr. Mehmet Agabigum, the experienced doctor at our office in Flint, MI, can diagnose and treat your voice problem.
Types of Voice Disorders
A common cause of voice problems for many people is overuse. However, many others factors can affect the voice, as well. Some common causes of voice problems include aging, stress, smoking, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and certain illness, such as upper respiratory infections.
Voice problems can also be due to a specific disorder, such as laryngitis. Some of the types of voice disorders a person might develop include:
- Laryngitis — A condition associated with inflammation of the voice box, often due to an infection or overuse of the vocal cords.
- Vocal Cord Issues — Polyps, cysts, and nodules on the vocal cords can cause voice problems. Weakness or paralysis can also affect the vocal cords.
- Leukoplakia — A condition characterized by white patches on the insides of the cheeks, gums, and tongue.
- Muscle Tension Dysphonia — A voice disorder caused by increased tension in the muscles that surround the voice box.
- Spasmodic Dysphonia — A neurological condition that causes involuntary muscle spasms in the voice box.
- Lesions — Cancerous sores that can develop on the vocal cords, throat, or in the mouth and can cause voice problems.
Treatments for Voice Problems
It is important to seek professional treatment for any voice problems you might be experiencing. Depending on the cause, voice problems could get worse or lead to other issues without treatment. We have several methods for treating voice problems at our office in Flint. The right treatment approach can depend on several factors, including the type and cause of your voice problems. Our skilled doctor can develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs. Methods for treating voice problems include medications, injections, voice therapy, and surgery.
If you are experiencing voice problems, such as hoarseness or voice loss, we can help. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Agabigum, call our office in Flint, MI.